Why Do I Have Acne?
Acne can be a complex issue and it affects everyone differently. Understanding the root cause of it is important but can be incredibly difficult to pinpoint. While it is most common in teens and young adults it can affect anyone at any age. Let's start with the basics.
What is Acne?
Simply put acne is when hair follicles under the skin become clogged or blocked. The blockage is a result of a build up of dead skin and bacteria caused by a production of too much sebum. Sebum is produced by your sebaceous glands of which normal production protects the skin leaving it balanced, neither dry or oily.
What causes Acne?
This is were it can get complicated. Understanding the causes of acne can be tricky but here are some of the most common reasons:
- Hormonal changes, this is typical in teenagers and young adults. Androgens are a class of hormones that substantially increase in production during teenage years for both males and females. This causes this sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum which blocks the pores.
- Premenstrual breakouts, here we go with hormones again. Just before your period starts a drop in estrogen and progesterone levels can once again cause an overproduction of sebum. And guess what? As we approach menopause, hormones can again play a role in breakouts.
- Runs in the family. Our hormonal imbalances, the amount of sebum that we produce, and the shape of our hair follicles can all run in the family. Yes, the shape of your hair follicle can have an impact on this inflammatory condition.
- Diet. While diet may not directly cause acne it can play a significant role in the severity of your acne.
- Stress. Again while stress may not directly cause acne it too can play a significant role in the severity and the longevity of acne breakouts.
- There are also less common forms of acne such as those caused by an overproduction of yeast also know as fungal acne.
Mind Body Connection to Acne
At Calli Essentials we are rooted in aromatherapy and as a result, we believe in the mind, and body connection of most everything. When one gets stressed or worried sometimes people will break out in hives, a rash, eczema or psoriasis. Acne is no different. While it may not be the cause, it can make the condition worse and last longer. There is a term called psychodermatology and many medical doctors are now incorporating this therapy. If you think there is a correlation for you, you may want to explore this. Look for dermatologists or naturopathic doctors in your area that specialize in this area.
Diet of course also plays a major role in the severity of your acne. Again, here it will depend on the individual, diet choices such as vegan or vegetarian but in general here are some tips and of course NO SMOKING.
Foods to Eat for Clear Skin
- Foods rich in vitamins A and D such as leafy greens, wild caught fish and free range eggs.
- Foods rich in B vitamins, super essential to healthy skin, again leafy greens, legumes, nuts, seeds and bananas.
- Foods rich in zinc and omega 3, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, lentils flax seeds, chia seeds and wild caught fish.
Foods to Avoid
- Refined sugar and processed foods such as boxed cereals, candy, cakes, pies cookies and sugary drinks.
- Dairy except small amounts of high protean low sugar yogurt.
- Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pizza, pasta and white rice. This is because of how they can lead to rapid spikes in blood sugar.
- Fried foods like French fries but not because of the grease but rather they are high on the glycemic index again affecting blood sugar.
Feed Your Skin - Clear Your Acne
What you put on your skin is as important as what you put in your body. At Calli we believe in choosing products that are clean and green. Products that are specifically formulated to synergize the natural ingredients for maximum effect.
What do you want from your Acne Products?
- Antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic
- Deep pore cleansing and exfoliating
- Restoration of the skin's acid mantle and balanced sebum production
- Soft and hydrated skin
Yes, you really can have all of this, clear skin can be achieved naturally. Not with a pill or with harsh chemicals. Using products that assist your skin in the restoration of its own acid mantle means your skin is more than clear, it is healthy.
Talk to Us Directly About Your Acne Concerns
We are available on live chat to speak to you about your specific needs or to arrange a one on one consultation. Products are only effective if you use them, so we want to be sure to build a routine that will work for you. We want you to love your skin and nourish your wellness.